St. Monica offers preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation to students in 8th-12th grades.
8th Grade - Sundays from 3:00pm-5:00pm
9th-12th Grade: Wednesdays from 6:30pm-8:30pm
This isn't a "class," and we don't have "teachers." Instead, we have sessions and Core Team leaders. This is a one-year program, and a parent must accompany his/her teen every Sunday/Wednesday. Parents are the primary catechists (teachers), and we are excited about this new chapter of including them in the process. Below are some of the events that everyone preparing to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation at St. Monica will get to experience.
Our annual Shift Conference weekend is packed with incredible speakers, praise + worship, and opportunities to receive Christ in the Eucharist and through the Sacrament of Reconciliation. There is free time to use the zip line, ropes course, water slides, canoes, and more. Each year, we bring in a major keynote speaker.
The Emmaus retreat prepares the Confirmation candidates and their parents for the road ahead. Confirmation is only a stop. It is not the destination, and the people who walk the road with us are an important part of the journey.
Refresh kicks off the year. The week is spent going back to the basics of the faith in order to "refresh" the teens' memories in order to remind them of all of the foundational beliefs of Catholicism that they might have forgotten.
Youth will be selecting a patron Saint for Confirmation after researching about the lives of the Saints. Youth will be expected to present on the life of their Saint at the Saint Fair.
- Youth are prepared for one academic year (August - May) to receive the sacrament of Confirmation. Preparation begins as early as 8th grade.
- Parent and youth are required to come together to L1ft Confirmation each week. Eighth grade youth attend L1ft Confirmation on Sunday afternoons 3:15 - 4:45 and 9th - 12th grade youth come on Wednesday evenings from 6:30 - 8:00 p.m.
- Youth attend two Confirmation retreats. The first retreat is a conference called Shift. The second retreat, Emmaus, is for both parent and youth.
- Youth attend a week long, foundational course called Refresh. During Refresh, students perform service.
- Youth select a patron Saint and participate in a Saint Fair.
- Youth select a Confirmation sponsor in conformity with canonical requirements. Sponsors must be practicing Catholic, fully initiated Catholics who have receiving the sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, and Eucharist), must be 16 years of age, if married must be married in the Church, and if single cannot be living with anyone outside of the sacrament of Marriage. A parent cannot serve as a youth's Confirmation sponsor.
Families must come in person to the Church office to register their youth in our Confirmation program.
To register, one must bring a copy of your student's birth and Baptism certificates. The cost or fee for the 2018-2019 year is $200. This fee is used to cover the cost of the retreat, materials, reception, certificates, speakers and other items throughout the year.
For more information contact:
A Confirmation sponsor is someone who will journey with the youth as they grow in their Catholic faith into adulthood. The following are the requirements to serve as a sponsor:
Sponsors must be practicing Catholic, fully initiated Catholics who have receiving the sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, and Eucharist)
Sponsors must be 16 years of age,
Sponsors may be married or single. If married, the sponsor must be married in the Church, and if single the sponsor cannot be living with anyone outside of the sacrament of Marriage.
A parent cannot serve as a youth's Confirmation sponsor.
A sponsor must fill out the following sponsor form: https://secure.acceptiva.com/?cst=0bcaf1
For more information visit www.l1ftministry.org.