Preparing for Baptism
- Birth Certificate: Parents should submit a copy of their child's birth certificate to the Faith Formation office (a verified hospital certificate is acceptable).
- Registration form: Fill out a registration form for each child being baptized. However, if the child has reached 7 years of age, the child should instead register for Religious Education classes before celebrating the Sacrament of Baptism. Please call the Office of Faith Formation for more information on Religious Education classes at 214-357-8549.
- Select Godparents. One Godparent is required but two are permitted. If Godparents are married, please submit a copy of the Godparents marriage certificate to the Office of Faith Formation. See Qualifications for Serving as a Catholic Godparent below.
- Attend Baptism Preparation Class.
- Baptism preparation classes are offered for both parents and godparents. The classes are held the first Saturday of each month in the Family Center Room 109 from 10:00 am – 12:00 pm.
- *Please note that due to the observance of July 4th, the Baptism class for July 2017 will be held on Saturday, July 8th.
- Godparents who live out of town may take a Baptism preparation class at their own parish and can fax proof of having taken a class to the Office of Faith Formation at: 214-351-1887.
- Parents do not have to be registered members at St. Monica to have their child baptized here. However, if you would like to register to become a parishioner, please click here.
There is no need to register for the Baptism class. If Godparents and parents are baptizing at another parish we will give them a letter at the end of the class that they can take with them to the parish where they are baptizing.
We kindly ask for arrangements to made for child care prior to class.
Baptism preparation class does not have to be taken the same month that child is being baptized. Oftentimes, parents take Baptism class before child is born.
We ask that the Baptism class be taken at least 2 years before the Baptism is going to take place. If it has been longer than two years since the class was taken, parents and Godparents should make arrangements to take a Baptism preparation class.
- Attend the Ceremony
Qualifications to Serve as a catholic Godparent
- Only one sponsor is required but two are permitted.
- If there are two sponsors, they must be male and female and they cannot be the parents of the child being baptized.
- Sponsors must be at least 16 years of age.
- Sponsors must be fully initiated into the Church. This means they have received Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist.
- Sponsors must be practicing Catholics. This means that they receive the Sacraments with frequency and will be good Catholic role models for the person being baptized.
- If married, sponsors must be married in the Catholic Church.
On occasion a family may choose a Godparent who is not able to be present at the ceremony. In such cases, parents can choose proxies to answer the parts of the godparents during the ceremony itself. On the baptismal record and on the Baptism certificate, the names of the Godparents will appear.