Can a member of my family who is not Catholic but a Christian be a godparent?

A godparent or sponsor is required by Canon Law to be a fully initiated Catholic in good standing (This means that have received Baptism, Holy Communion and Confirmation. If they are married, they must have a marriage recognized by the Catholic Church.) A non-Catholic Christian may serve as a Christian witness. A godparent is asked to promise to help the parents of the child to raise the child in the Catholic faith.


Do I have to be married in the Church to have my child baptized?

No, however, we would invite those who have not received this sacrament to talk with the Pastor or the Associate Pastor for more information on how to celebrate this sacrament.


Can a married family member who is Catholic but did not marry in the Church be a godparent?

Any Catholic has to be in a marriage recognized as valid by the Catholic Church if they want to be a sponsor.


Can a family member who was married in the Church but now is separated or divorced be a godparent or sponsor?

Separation or divorce does not inhibit a person from being a godparent.


Can I have my child baptized if my spouse or one parent is not Catholic?

Yes, only one parent needs to have received the Sacrament of Baptism in the Catholic Church.


Do I have to be confirmed to have my child baptized?

No, however, we would invite anyone who is an adult and has not been confirmed to enroll in our Adult Confirmation course. St. Monica offers an Adult Confirmation program every Spring.


What do I have to bring to the Baptism?

St. Monica provides a baptism candle. Infants wear a white baptismal gown. There is no need to bring anything else to the Baptism.