For "by the sacrament of Confirmation, [the baptized] are more perfectly bound to the Church and are enriched with a special strength of the Holy Spirit. Hence they are, as true witnesses of Christ, more strictly obliged to spread and defend the faith by word and deed."
St. Monica offers Confirmation once a year for Catholic adults who would like to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation.
To receive this Sacrament, one must be at least:
- Age 18
- Baptized in the Catholic Church and have received First Holy Communion
- If married, must be married within the Catholic Church. If civilly married, couple must receive the sacrament of marriage before receiving Confirmation.
Preparation for Confirmation
Before becoming fully initiated into the Catholic church, St. Monica offers a series of classes to help adults spiritually prepare for the sacramental graces that ones receives at Confirmation.
In 2020, Confirmation will be celebrated on Pentecost Sunday, May 31, 2020. Leading up to Confirmation, a series of seven classes will be offered on the following dates:
- April 14, 2020
- April 21, 2020
- April 28, 2020
- May 5, 2020
- May 12, 2020
- May 19, 2020
- May 26, 2020
Adults interested in being Confirmed on Pentecost must attend all seven classes. Classes are in the Family Center room 109 from 7:00-9:00pm.
Celebration of Confirmation
Confirmation in 2020 will be on Pentecost Sunday, May 31, 2020 at the 5:00pm Mass.
In accepting the responsibility of serving as Sponsor, you are indicating your willingness to fulfill your own religious obligations.
As a practicing Roman Catholic serving as a Sponsor, you are expected to:
- Be a registered & active member of your local Roman Catholic Church parish (please provide a letter signed by the parish priest)
- Attend Mass & Confession regularly and receive Sacraments frequently
- If married, must be married according to the laws of the Roman Catholic Church (no cohabitation, no common law marriage, etc…)
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Must be a fully initiated Catholic having received the Sacraments of Confirmation and Holy Eucharist.
Catholics serving as a Sponsor assume the special responsibility of being living examples of what it means to follow Jesus Christ within the Catholic tradition.
Each sponsor should fill out this form online:
To register online for the Confirmation classes, click here.
In addition to registering online, please submit the following:
- Copy of the candidates Birth Certificate
- Copy of the candidates Baptism certificate
- Copy of the candidates marriage certificate (if married)
Documents may be scanned and emailed to Eldie Diaz at
In preparation for Confirmation, candidates will research the lives of the Saints and then choose a Saint they spiritually admire. We are reminded by St. Paul that "We are surrounded by so a great cloud of witnesses" (Hebrews 12;1) who we can call upon to intercede for us. Once a candidate selects the life of a Saint, the candidate must submit the name of the Saint to the Confirmation catechist (teacher) or to the Church office: